Thursday, February 8, 2007

#10 Comments

Hello Everyone,

Here are a couple of comments I received back. I hope they are helpful or spur more dialog.

Blessings,

Nancy

 

 

 

Lesson #10 Questions/Comments

Nancy, another thing I struggle with is the placement we put on material things. I believe in having just what I need, but I become drawn in to feeling I need more because I feel inferior. My wife and I discuss this and always bring it back into the proper perspective. I still feel it pulling my thoughts. I know I need nothing to stand in front of the Lord, but I struggle and need to remind myself.  This may be a division with in churches and I believe these are things Jude is warning us about. 

Dear Brother in the Lord,

If an individual succumbs to materialism, they carry quilt. The Lord died so we could live victorious and guilt free. Therefore, if we carry guilt into the functions of the church it can be a negative influence causing division.

If an individual succumbs to materialism, it may cause problems in the marriage and home. This causes division in the church because when there is a problem between a husband and wife, the children always know, and then entire family comes into the church setting and covers up their problems, therefore, falsehood is what they present. To really be united we must be real and authentic. This is the one place where there should be no masks, no cover ups and truth prevails.

If an individual succumbs to materialism then their tithes & offerings often suffer, lack of proper funding in the church can definitely cause division.

If an individual succumbs to materialism then they often place a higher value on or give more respect to people who have more wealth or “things.” This causes division in the community of faith by forming cliques and bias’.

     The good news is we can allow the Holy Spirit to indwell us, cleanse us and transform us into the image of Christ. Materialism may continue to be a temptation but we can defeat it by prayer, reading the Word, sharing in the community of faith and sometimes physically fleeing what ever is tempting us. The power of Jesus’ presence in our lives gives us the power to choose, to say no, and to have strength against anything that may cause division in our lives and in our church.

 

 

Nancy, If a sin is justified correctly, it is no longer a sin.

I would like to get your thoughts on this one, then I will comment. Remember, at some point we’ve all practiced justification, so no stone throwing. J

Thanks, Nancy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nancy Cantrell,

Associate Pastor

Harrisonville Church of the Nazarene